Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice for a newbie  (Read 94 times)

• Topic Author
  • Offline Mike

Advice for a newbie
    « on: July 06, 2021, 05:54:45 pm »
    Hello All ,
    First of all , for all I am new to this forum I have been researching on and off regarding purchasing a pre owned static caravan since about 2009 when I was still working and now at aged 63 my Wife and I are contemplating taking the plunge with a pre owned static in a quiet location for relaxation and some well earned chill out time so hopefully someone here will be able to point us in the right direction . I might as well explain now that I am well aware of the pros and cons of making such a purchase and am reasonably clued up with the cans and cants  and do,s and donts of the legalitive side of things although I do need to refresh my memory with any new acts that may have come into force since my first research back in 2009 . I am also under no illusions  that buying a static is a long term profit making exercise , and all I would be interested in is that hopefully  we would get a reasonable amount of use out of the caravan for the money we spend .
    With this in mind I will try and explain what we are looking for . Preferably in North Yorkshire or Northumberland  , a Family owned / run ,small rural or coastal park with some mature trees / shrubbery and countryside walks within a short (5 mile radius) of a small town . We are not bothered about having any facilities on the park only a nice pleasant environment to reside in , obviously if the site owners are nice pleasant people to deal with then that is definitely a great bonus so ideally owners who actually live on the site with a long term vested interest in keeping a well run site would be our ideal . I must not forget my Dog , so the site must be dog friendly . I think what I am trying to ask is , are there any forum members here who can reccomend such a park in our chosen areas ? and if so I would really appreciate your advice or any help you could give me . I thank you in anticipation .

Linkback: https://staticforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,752.msg1976.html#msg1976

Offline fhb2

Re: Advice for a newbie
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 07:36:17 pm »
    Hello and welcome.
    I'll just pick on one point in your post, when you refer to legislation.
    There is NO legislation specific to holiday parks, they come under the consumer rights act (revised in 2015) and the law of contract (fair terms, etc).
    The Caravans Act is used as a guide by licensing councils for spacing and roadways, etc.,, but the actual legislation of this and the Mobile Homes Act, relates only to properly licensed residential parks.
    Which is why everybody will keep reminding you to read and understand the contract before committing yourself.
    Somebody will doubtless be along soon with suggestions of where to look, and researching parks and locations can be great fun itself.

Linkback: https://staticforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,752.msg1979.html#msg1979

The following users thanked this post: Mike

Offline DaveE

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 08:03:22 pm »
    Hello Mike, and Welcome to the forum..
    fhb2 has covered a lot in his response and has certainly set out the legal reality quite simply.
    There are two types of license issued by park owners to ‘van owners on holiday parks ( all parks that are not residential ).
    1st Fixed term i.e. you are told in the license that you have “x” no of years with your ‘van on pitch.
    2nd Annual Renewal . The sites decides at the end of each year whether you & your ‘van can stay another year.. This is sometimes referred to as “no age limit” but it is always at the site owners discretion.
    Some site do any red of the 2 I.e. it’s initially a Fixed Term but at the  end  reverts to Annual Renewal..
    Whichever it is it should be always explained in the T&C’s so as our friend it is essential you read the license thoroughly before committing to a ‘van& park.
    As to myself I’m on a little rural park within theYorkshire Wolds just a few miles inland of the Yorkshire Coast Scarborough/Filey/Bridlington that you could be describing. I hope you find somewhere that works for you as well as “The Windmill Country Park” does for us,

Linkback: https://staticforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,752.msg1980.html#msg1980

The following users thanked this post: Mike

• Topic Author
  • Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 06:25:27 pm »

MOVED: HELP AND ADVICE NEEDED ON PURCHASING A STATIC CARAVAN

Started by Gerry1964

Replies: 0
    Views: 375
    Last Post June 27, 2020, 11:08:31 am
    by Gerry1964