Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lockdown litter louts  (Read 44 times)

• Topic Author
  • Online Gerry1964

Lockdown litter louts
    « on: June 03, 2020, 01:08:24 am »
    Daytrippers thronging to Britain's beauty spots as restrictions are eased leave behind huge piles of rubbish, including bottles of human waste

Lockdown-flouting sunseekers who thronged beauty spots during the weekend heatwave were accused of leaving mountains of rubbish behind.

At Dorset's Durdle Door beach, volunteers were left clearing up piles of discarded face masks and remnants of barbecues and picnics. Plastic bottles of human waste were also left behind.

'To witness the disregard with which Durdle Door, our beaches and coast paths, have been treated is shocking,'
    said Jurassic Coast Trust chief executive Lucy Culkin, adding that the charity had received 'hundreds of messages highlighting the volume of litter'.

In the Lake District, rangers filled 130 bags with rubbish after the weekend while in the Yorkshire Dales, two couples alone picked up 53 bags of litter from Stainforth Force waterfall near Settle. Local councillor Paul Sullivan said:
    'It is horrendous... Too many people won't pick up.'

Bournemouth and Southend were packed with day-trippers keen to enjoy the heat - but the large numbers made social distancing almost impossible with people from different households now allowed to meet up in groups of six.

May was the sunniest month in the UK since records began, but the country is now facing a gloomy start to the summer – just as the coronavirus lockdown is being eased and people can hold barbecues in their garden.

Daytime temperatures are set to plunge to 43F (6C) this week, with some areas of the UK as cold as Greenland. However, wet weather will bring relief to water companies and parched gardens amid fears over hosepipe bans.

The last day of the warm sunshine was today, with western England and North Wales hottest, with a high of 84F (29C) beating the current 2019 record of 82.7F (28.2C) set in Suffolk on May 20.

Maximum temperatures of 77F (25C) were expected widely across the rest of England and Wales today - the same as the conditions forecast in Ibiza - apart from coastal areas, where 68F (20C) to 70F (21C) was expected.

It came as a raft of lockdown restrictions were eased yesterday, with six people from different households now allowed to meet outdoors as long as social distancing is followed. They are able to meet in private gardens or in parks or beaches. 

Primary schools were reopened for reception, year one and year six, outdoor markets were reopened, along with car showrooms, while horse racing became the first sport to resume, though without spectators.

People in the vulnerable 'shielding' group who have until now been advised to stay indoors are also now allowed to go outside for a walk. 

Linkback: https://staticforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,479.msg883.html#msg883

The following users thanked this post: Roxysdad

Offline DaveE

Re: Lockdown litter louts
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 08:01:50 am »
    It’s always amazed me.  Maybe I should have got used to this concerted effort by the great British public as shown here to debeautify beauty spots.
    The simple logic of “ If you can take it there with you then take it home as well” just does not exist in so many peoples thoughts.

Linkback: https://staticforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,479.msg885.html#msg885

The following users thanked this post: Gerry1964, Roxysdad

Offline Sparkalicious

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 08:11:27 am »
    It does upset me. I've had the attitude of "always leave the beach cleaner than when you arrived". So if I see the odd bottle or bit of wrapping near me I'll add that to my rubbish pile. Not sure who told me that phrase but it stuck. And lets be honest. It's usually only one bag. Just have it with you and bin it on your way home. Not hard. Just some people have no respect

Linkback: https://staticforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,479.msg887.html#msg887

Offline Slattster

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 08:21:14 am »
    I find it unbelievable and am astounded that people would go somewhere because of its beauty and then leave it looking like a rubbish dump  , they are scrotes . I hate littering anywhere (and dog poop) there is no need for it , it is just lazy.

Linkback: https://staticforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,479.msg888.html#msg888